If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred, secure cashless payment method when transacting. You’re also able to link your PayPal account directly when transacting on Kijiji if you wish.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent that a tracking number is used when sending/receiving items.
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to make an exchange, while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections: Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables both buyer and seller to discuss the transaction and view the item in question while observing social-distancing protocols. Community Members can also send additional images of items to show its condition.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.
Want to go cash-less for your next Kijiji meet-up? Well now you can with the new option to pay with PayPal through the Kijiji app on your mobile device!
Simply link your PayPal account to your Kijiji account to quickly and easily send and receive money through PayPal in-app, right on your phone at the meet-up. Everything about your communication with buyers and sellers, along with the in-person review and exchange of the item will stay the same, you’ll just have a new way to pay that’s secure and convenient, eliminating the hassle of dealing with cash at the meet-up.
This new payment option is easy to set up and use on your mobile device. From there, you’ll be able to pay for your next Kijiji-related purchase or receive payment with PayPal on your mobile device at the meet-up by following the Kijiji in-app message prompts.
Paying with PayPal through the Kijiji app is purely an option, offering users a convenient and secure alternative to cash, though if you’d prefer to continue with cash, that’s OK too!
How to Link Your Account:
|1||Open the app and sign into your account.|
|3||Tap on the + symbol next to the word PayPal. |
Or: Tap on the gear icon and scroll to the bottom of the page. Tap where it says Link Your PayPal.
|5||Log into your PayPal account and follow the instructions there. If you don’t have a PayPal account, click Sign Up to create one.|
- If you have already connected your PayPal account, you will see a small PayPal logo under the words “Confirmed Email” in your My Kijiji section. On Android, you can also see "PayPal: Account Connected" in your settings. On iOS, the Link Your PayPal option in settings will be greyed out.
- PayPal is currently not available on the iPad version of the app.
How does it work?
Follow these three simple steps on your updated Kijiji app:
- Link: Follow the instructions above to ensure that your PayPal account is linked to the Kijiji app.
- Meet: Once both of you agree on the price, meet in person so the buyer can inspect the item. The seller can request the payment through the Kijiji in-app messaging on their mobile phone, right at the meet-up. At the meet-up, the buyer will be asked (also via Kijiji in-app message) to confirm if they are with the seller. Do not send/receive payments with PayPal through the Kijiji app if you’re not face-to-face.
- Pay: In response to the seller’s request for payment and, provided that the buyer is with the seller at the meet-up, the buyer can easily make a payment with PayPal through the Kijiji app, and the transaction is complete!
The payment with PayPal through the Kijiji app happens seamlessly. You don’t have to leave the Kijiji app while PayPal processes the payment.
Is there a fee to make/receive payment with PayPal through the Kijiji app?
Sellers: There is a PayPal seller fee of 2.9% of the transaction amount plus $0.30 per transaction.
For example: A sale price of $50 will have a fee of $1.75 ($1.45 + $0.30) that is deducted from the sale amount. A sale price of $300 will have a fee of $9.00 ($8.70 + $0.30) that is deducted from the sale amount.
See full terms from PayPal for payments made through the Kijiji App.
For Buyers: The buyer does not incur any fees.
Is Kijiji charging fees?
No, Kijiji does not charge a fee for making a PayPal payment through the Kijiji app. The fees incurred by the seller are PayPal fees. There are no other fees for this feature.
Is there a minimum and maximum sale price to pay with PayPal?
To pay with PayPal through the Kijiji app, a payment must be between $2.00 and $9,999.
Can I choose the PayPal payment method I’d like to use as a Kijiji buyer?
Yes. Buyers can use any of the funding methods they have in their PayPal wallet. They can pay by credit card or from their bank account that’s connected to their PayPal account. If they have a PayPal balance, these funds will be used first. They can also choose their preferred payment method for future transactions. As always, they can also choose to pay with cash for Kijiji transactions.
Why is Kijiji now recommending paying via PayPal, when they’ve always stressed that cash is the best form of payment?
This is purely a payment option – a new choice for Kijiji users. Paying with PayPal through the Kijiji app is designed for face-to-face transactions, as all Kijiji buy-and-sell exchanges are done. Those who prefer to pay in cash can certainly continue to do so. But we’re always listening to our users, and many expressed a desire for a cashless option given that so many other transactions are routinely made this way, such as with debit cards, credit cards and various smartphone apps.
PayPal is used for buying online when items are shipped to the buyer, right? It’s not for in-person transactions.
Paying with PayPal through the Kijiji app is specifically designed for face-to-face transactions, as all Kijiji buy-and-sell exchanges are done. It’s designed to make meet-ups even easier, allowing buyer and seller to agree on a price, inspect the goods, and then request, accept and verify payment using the Kijiji app on their smartphones.
Why is PayPal payment only available through the Kijiji app? Why can’t I use it on my desktop?
Just as with cash, Kijiji transactions are always completed face-to-face. The in-app cashless payment option is on our smartphone app so that the buyer and seller can have a cashless option for their in-person transaction.
Will the PayPal option be available for ‘Wanted’ or ‘Free’ ads?
No. When creating an ad, if you select I want as the ad type or Free as the listed price, payment with PayPal through the Kijiji app will not be available. This is because a clear and precise dollar amount must be indicated in order for any payment to be processed successfully.
Does payment via PayPal provide purchase protection to the buyer?
Buyers are not eligible for PayPal's Buyer Protection. This coverage is for Items Not Received or for items that arrive Significantly Not As Described. Since items sold on Kijiji should all be picked up in person, this protection does not apply.
Sellers do have PayPal Seller Protection which covers you if any buyer initiates an unauthorized transaction (a transaction from another person’s account or using an invalid or stolen credit card). If a buyer files a claim with PayPal for items purchased on Kijiji, PayPal will not honour it.
See full terms from PayPal for payments made through the Kijiji App.
Can a buyer retract or cancel their payment once the item has been handed over?
No. All sales are final. Items sold on Kijiji are inspected and picked up in person.
If I’m a seller, can I refund someone?
Refunds cannot be completed via the Kijiji app. If a seller decides to provide a refund to a buyer, this would be at their discretion and would have to be done through their PayPal account or with cash. Please note that the seller may incur fees from PayPal for the refund transaction.
How do I unlink my PayPal account from my Kijiji account?
If you would like to unlink your PayPal account from the Kijiji app, this can be done directly from the PayPal website. Once you sign in to your PayPal account, click on the cog/gear icon in the top-right corner of the screen. Click on the Security tab, and then select the Permissions you’ve given option. On this screen, you will be able to remove Kijiji.
Why do I get a notification stating that my email address is not yet confirmed when I try to link my PayPal account?
Your email address has not yet been confirmed with your PayPal account and as such, cannot be used in conjunction with the Kijiji app. To confirm the email address associated with your PayPal account, visit the PayPal website and follow the instructions provided. Once these steps are completed, you will be able to link your PayPal account to your Kijiji account.