Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading on Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred, secure cashless payment method when transacting. You’re also able to link your PayPal account directly when transacting on Kijiji if you wish.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent that a tracking number is used when sending/receiving items.
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to make an exchange, while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections: Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables both buyer and seller to discuss the transaction and view the item in question while observing social-distancing protocols. Community Members can also send additional images of items to show its condition.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.
While most individuals who use Kijiji have successful experiences, from time to time we do receive reports of people attempting to scam or defraud the community. We have found that one of the best ways to stay safe is to ensure that all transactions take place locally and in-person.
Remember that Kijiji is a local classifieds web site and not all ads are reviewed before going live to site.
Please take the following precautions while using Kijiji:
- When buying or selling, you should meet in-person to thoroughly inspect the product and then exchange funds. Meet in a public place with many people around, such as a coffee shop.
- As a safe alternative to carrying cash, consider paying for your item with PayPal, a reputable company where you can securely link your bank account, your credit cards or your VISA Debit. It’s a quick and easy way to make a payment. Never mail a cheque or wire money to sellers. Services like Amazon Payments, Google Wallet, Android Pay, Canada Post, Western Union or MoneyGram should be avoided. Typically, scammers will use these services and will even falsify documents from a legitimate company. It’s best to avoid them entirely and keep things local!
- PayPal payments made through the Kijiji app may be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. Kijiji and eBay do not offer any sort of protection programs for Kijiji items. Any emails or web sites that talk about such systems are scams, even if they may have the Kijiji logo. If you receive any emails promoting these services, please forward the message to us.
- Be wary of emails asking you to confirm your account or a password or email address change that was not requested. These are very often phishing emails by scammers trying to gain access to your account. Any emails we send requiring you to log in will bring you directly to our site. The Kijiji sign in page should always show up as being secure in your web browser. Click here to learn more.
- Do not give out personal or banking information (e.g. social insurance number, bank account number) over the Internet.
- Inform Kijiji of any attempted fraud or suspicious emails, ads, or other activity by community members. In the case of fraud, file a police report and contact us.
- Use common sense. If something sounds too good to be true- it probably is.