Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading with other users of Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred third party, secure cashless payment method; You’re also able to link your PayPal and Kijiji accounts directly when transacting with others if you wish.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent, that a tracking number is used and additional precautions are taken when sending/receiving items; particularly items of a high value. Increased care should be taken with high value items to ensure both sides are comfortable sending or receiving the item through a postal or shipping service. Please note, Kijiji itself does not offer postal or shipping services; it is organized between buyer and seller (agreement should be mutual, and we recommend confirming all details such as service provider, cost, packaging, pick up location and delivery address). Kijiji will not be held responsible for items not received or for any items that do not meet the buyer’s expectations (including where they are not as described).
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to inspect the item and make an exchange, all while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections / Video Chat(s) / Virtual Tour(s) (Long Terms Rentals): Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables Community Members to discuss the transaction, while observing social-distancing protocols; Community Members can also send additional images, to show features/condition.
- Online Applications in Long Term Rentals: Online applications for rental agreements enable the landlord and applicant to interact while observing social-distancing protocols. Be careful of applications that request information such as Age, Occupation, Income, Gender and more sensitive information such as bank or SIN card numbers. These can often be attempts to steal information. Please note that Kijiji does not facilitate online applications and we are not involved in any agreements made between the landlord and applicant.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.
While most individuals who use Kijiji have successful experiences, from time to time we do receive reports of people attempting to scam or defraud the community. We have found that one of the best ways to stay safe is to ensure that all transactions take place locally and in-person.
Remember that Kijiji is a local classifieds web site and not all ads are reviewed before going live to site.
Please take the following precautions while using Kijiji:
- When buying or selling, you should meet in-person to thoroughly inspect the product and then exchange funds. Meet in a public place with many people around, such as a coffee shop.
- As a safe alternative to carrying cash, consider paying for your item with PayPal, a reputable company where you can securely link your bank account, your credit cards or your VISA Debit. It’s a quick and easy way to make a payment. Never mail a cheque or wire money to sellers. Services like Amazon Payments, Google Wallet, Android Pay, Canada Post, Western Union or MoneyGram should be avoided. Typically, scammers will use these services and will even falsify documents from a legitimate company. It’s best to avoid them entirely and keep things local!
- PayPal payments made through the Kijiji app may be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. Kijiji and eBay do not offer any sort of protection programs for Kijiji items. Any emails or web sites that talk about such systems are scams, even if they may have the Kijiji logo. If you receive any emails promoting these services, please forward the message to us.
- Be wary of emails asking you to confirm your account or a password or email address change that was not requested. These are very often phishing emails by scammers trying to gain access to your account. Any emails we send requiring you to log in will bring you directly to our site. The Kijiji sign in page should always show up as being secure in your web browser. Click here to learn more.
- Do not give out personal or banking information (e.g. social insurance number, bank account number) over the Internet.
- Inform Kijiji of any attempted fraud or suspicious emails, ads, or other activity by community members. In the case of fraud, file a police report and contact us.
- Use common sense. If something sounds too good to be true- it probably is.