Kijiji’s location search works by sorting ads into a grid around major city centers. When you enter your address or postal code, it detects where you are in the grid, and posts your ad under searches for that area. This means that if you live in an area with a smaller population, your ad will appear in searches for the nearest region or city center.
If you would like to change the location of your ad, this must be done before posting. Please follow the instructions below for the category you would like to post within.
To change your ad's location in Buy & Sell, Cars & Vehicles, Pets or Community:
|1||Enter your address or postal code in the Location field.|
|2||Select one of the suggested addresses from the drop-down menu.|
|3||Click on the box below “Your Ad Will be Posted In” to select from nearby areas. |
If you don’t see the area you’d like to post in, click Change next to your address / postal code and use a postal code from the area that you want your ad to be posted in. Using the first 3 digits of an area’s postal code is enough.
|4||If you’ve used an area other than your own, remember to list your actual area in the body of the ad so buyers know where they need to travel.|
Example: If you want to post in Edmonton, but your postal code is coming up as Red Deer, you can make sure that your ad is seen in Edmonton by using an Edmonton postal code.
To change your ad's location in Real Estate, Jobs, Services or Vacation Rentals:
|1||Before creating your ad, change the location in the search bar to the area you want to post within, and hit the search button.|
|2||Click Post Ad and fill in your title and category.|
|3||Under the Ad Details section, click on the Location drop-down menu and select your area.|
|4||In the Address field, enter the address you would like those viewing your ad to see. This can be as specific as your street address, or as vague as your city.|
If Your Ad Has Already Been Posted
Once an ad is posted, the location is set and cannot be edited. If you’ve already posted your ad and you’d prefer it be placed in a different region, you will need to delete and repost it.
If the Map Is Wrong
The map shown on the Ad Details page is determined by the information entered into the Location field when you post your ad. If the map address shown on your ad’s page is incorrect but you entered the correct postal code, edit your ad and include more specific information such as your street address.
The mapping function on Kijiji is provided by a third party (in this case, Google Maps). If entering both a written address and a postal code hasn’t fixed the issue, your address may be incorrect within their system. As we do not have control over the Google Maps application, we are not able to fix this directly. If you encounter this issue, we recommend noting the address discrepancy in the main body of your ad to prevent any confusion.
Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading with other users of Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred third party, secure cashless payment method.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent, that a tracking number is used and additional precautions are taken when sending/receiving items; particularly items of a high value. Increased care should be taken with high value items to ensure both sides are comfortable sending or receiving the item through a postal or shipping service. Please note, Kijiji itself does not offer postal or shipping services; it is organized between buyer and seller (agreement should be mutual, and we recommend confirming all details such as service provider, cost, packaging, pick up location and delivery address). Kijiji will not be held responsible for items not received or for any items that do not meet the buyer’s expectations (including where they are not as described).
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to inspect the item and make an exchange, all while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections / Video Chat(s) / Virtual Tour(s) (Long Terms Rentals): Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables Community Members to discuss the transaction, while observing social-distancing protocols; Community Members can also send additional images, to show features/condition.
- Online Applications in Long Term Rentals: Online applications for rental agreements enable the landlord and applicant to interact while observing social-distancing protocols. Be careful of applications that request information such as Age, Occupation, Income, Gender and more sensitive information such as bank or SIN card numbers. These can often be attempts to steal information. Please note that Kijiji does not facilitate online applications and we are not involved in any agreements made between the landlord and applicant.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.