If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred, secure cashless payment method when transacting. You’re also able to link your PayPal account directly when transacting on Kijiji if you wish.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent that a tracking number is used when sending/receiving items.
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to make an exchange, while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections: Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables both buyer and seller to discuss the transaction and view the item in question while observing social-distancing protocols. Community Members can also send additional images of items to show its condition.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.Searching should be easy and fun! Enter a few keywords, your location, and BAM! Find what you want. Alas, it’s not always that simple. So, how can you improve your searches?
Choosing Your Search Filters
Search bars work by using filters to remove any ads that don’t fit those requirements. If you don’t add very many filters, you can end up with items you don’t want in your results. It’s better to do a few different searches with too few results than to scroll through pages and pages of things that you don’t want. Remember, you can always remove some filters later if you don’t find what you’re looking for.
There are 3 types of filters in the search bar:
Let’s go over each of them in greater detail.
This is the first section of the search bar that you should set. You can choose to search within your city, region, or even your entire province. Whichever you choose, remember that you may have to travel that far to meet the seller.
Note: After hitting the search button, use the Distance From slider on the left side of the page to search within the range you’re willing to travel. Whether you just want to look in the next town over or go on a mighty trek across the province to find that perfect antique table, we want to help!
This is the most overlooked part of an efficient search. If you are using a keyword that could mean a few different things, then the category selection is essential.
Example: Let’s say that you’re searching for a new Ford Mustang. If you only use keywords, you could end up sorting through ads for toys, books, or rideshares. You may even find the 4-legged variety with an owner who just so happens to mention his Ford pickup truck in the ad. Adding the Cars & Vehicles category to your filters will remove all these ads.
But wait! There’s more! After choosing Cars & Vehicles, you’re starting to see a lot more Ford Mustangs. Awesome! But there are also dozens of ads for tires. This is where choosing
a subcategory comes in.
After choosing a main category and hitting the search button, you’ll see subcategory options along the left side of the page. The numbers next to these secondary options show how many of your results belong to that subcategory. Choose the subcategory that best fits what you’re looking for and click on it to narrow results to only those ads.
The keyword search is the part of the search bar that you can type in. This filter works by showing only ads that contain those words. If you are receiving a lot of irrelevant ads and have already chosen a category, try adding more words related to what you’re seeking. If the words you enter are specific to only one type of item, that’s even better.
Example: While searching through ads for Ford Mustangs, you’ve realized that you simply cannot make it through another winter without heated seats. No problem! Adding the word “heated” into your keywords and hitting the search button again will take care of that.
Note: The most important thing to remember about keywords is that ads are created by individuals, not professionals. Not everyone phrases everything the same way, or even includes all the words related to their item. If you’re not finding what you’re looking for, try changing your keywords around. Rephrase, try different combinations, and soon enough you’ll find the treasure at the end of your Kijiji rainbow!
Are you finding the right type of items, but need to narrow it down further? Finding lots of Ford Mustangs with heated seats, but absolutely need it in red? Or under 10,000? Read more on how to manage your search results here