Table of contents
Kijiji has replaced the AdChoice program with Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada's AdChoices
. You may have previously opted-out of advertising personalization on Kijiji through the AdChoice program. If you wish to continue opting-out of advertising personalization please see Section 6
- What personal information do we collect
- How we use your personal information
- Transfers of your personal information to other jurisdictions
- Marketing Purposes
- Data subject rights - accessing, rectifying, changing and deleting your personal information, and withdrawing consent
- Protection and retention of your personal information
- Other Information
websites (together, "Kijiji" or "Website") and all related websites, applications, services and tools where reference is made to this policy ("Services"), regardless of how you access the Services, including access through mobile devices. Kijiji Canada Ltd. is the data controller.Scope and consent:
is effective as of September 21, 2023.
2. What personal information do we collect
You can visit our Website without registering for an account. When you decide to provide us with your personal information, you agree that such information is sent to and stored on our servers. We collect the following types of personal information:
Information we collect automatically: When you visit our Website, use our Services and or reply to ads or other content, we automatically collect the information sent to us by your computer, mobile device or other equipment that provides access. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- information from your interaction with our Website and Services, including, but not limited to, device ID, device type, geo-location information, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from www.kijiji.ca, referring URL, ad data, IP address and standard web log information; and
- information we collect through cookies, web beacons and similar technologies.
Information you provide to us: We collect and store any information you enter on our Website or that you provide to us when you use our Services. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- information that you provide to us when you register for an account or for the Services that you use, such as your full name and/or user name, email address, social media links, address and profile photo;
- additional information that you may provide to us through social media sites or third party Services;
- information provided in the context of dispute resolution, correspondence through our Website or correspondence that is sent to us;
- information about your location and the location of your device, including your device’s unique identifier information if you have enabled this service on your mobile device, and
- your resume if you choose to submit it to us for consideration through our careers page
Information from other sources:
We may receive or collect additional information about you from third parties and add this to our account information. This information includes, but is not limited to: demographic data, navigation data, additional contact data and additional data about you from other sources, such as public authorities, to the extent permitted by law
3. How we use your personal information
You agree that we may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to personalize, measure and improve our Services, content and ads;
- to provide you with other services that you have requested, as described when we collected the information,
- to administer contests, and
- to consider you as a potential candidate if you choose to upload your resume through our careers page.
Sharing information with and registration on social media sites:
We may offer sign-on Services that enable you to access the Website or related websites with your login credentials. We can also offer Services that enable you to share information with third party social media websites, such as Facebook and X.
, we will not disclose your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may share your personal information with:
- service providers with whom we have entered into an agreement to help us provide our Services on the website, such as financial service providers, marketing agencies and technical support. In such cases, the personal information shall remain under the control of Kijiji Canada Ltd. If you are listing an ad, your listing or business address may be displayed on a map in your ads (including within the Kijiji mobile application) via Google Maps and therefore transferred to Google (refer to the Google Privacy Notice for more info).
- to comply with legal obligations or a court order; or
- if this is necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal offenses, such as fraud, deceit or prosecution, or
- if it is necessary to maintain our policies or to protect the rights and freedoms of others.
- other third parties to whom you have given consent to share your information via Kijiji, e.g. in the framework of a cooperation;
- companies that we intend to merge with in the context of a re-organisation or that acquire us;
- an intellectual property owner if the owner of an intellectual property right or an intermediary in good faith believes that an advertisement violates the rights of the owner. Before personal information is provided, the IP owner will enter into an agreement that, inter alia, stipulates that information is only provided on the strict condition that it may only be used in the context of legal proceedings and/or obtaining legal advice and/or to answer questions from the relevant advertiser
Without limitation to the foregoing, we shall moreover - in our efforts to respect your privacy and to keep the website free of malicious persons or parties – not disclose your personal information to third parties without a court order or formal request from the government in accordance with applicable law, unless we believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary to prevent impending injury or financial damages or to report alleged illegal activities.Information you share on www.kijiji.ca
: Our Website allows users to share advertisements and other information with other users, thereby making this shared information accessible to other users. Since our Website also enables you to directly contact a buyer or seller, we recommend that you consider how you share your personal information with others. You are solely responsible for the personal information you share through our Website and therefore we cannot guarantee the privacy or security of the information shared by you with other users.
In case you visit our Website from a shared computer or a computer in an internet café, we strongly recommend that you log off after each session. If you do not want the shared computer to remember you and/or your credentials, you will need to remove cookies and/or the history of your website visits
.4. Transfers of your personal information to other jurisdictions
5. Marketing Purposes
You agree that we may use the information collected by us to send you offers, whether personalized or not, or to contact you by telephone regarding products or Services offered by Kijiji or companies of the Classifieds Group.
We will not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize our Services and functionalities.
When you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can, where applicable, change your preferences in your My Kijiji
account, or follow the unsubscribe link in the marketing communication you received
Kijiji adheres to the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada’s (DAAC) AdChoices program principles. If you do not wish to participate in our advertising personalization using your personal information or retargeting/tracking programs, you can opt-out by following the directions provided within the applicable advertisement, or directly at the AdChoices
website provided by the DAAC, and use the opt-out mechanism. This does not necessarily mean that no advertisements will be shown to you. It simply means that these advertisements will not be personalized for you by means of cookies, web beacons or similar technologies
on Cookies, Web beacons and Similar Technologies.
8. Data subject rights – accessing, rectifying, changing and deleting your personal information, and withdrawing consent
Accessing or obtaining a copy of your information:
You may access your personal information or account information by logging into your Kijiji account. Alternatively, you can also contact Customer Support
by selecting Privacy - Access Information to access or obtain a copy of your personal information stored by us (including information that is not directly accessible on Kijiji), unless we are not required to provide access or a copy under applicable law. We may charge a fee to compensate costs; however the fee shall not exceed the amount permitted by law. Rectifying your information:
If your information is factually incorrect or incomplete or irrelevant for the purposes for which we process your information, you may request that we rectify your information by contacting Customer Support
and selecting Privacy - Rectify Information. Such requests will be handled in accordance with applicable law. Changing your information:
We cannot modify your personal information or account information. You can modify your own information by logging into your Kijiji account. When you place a classified ad, you may not be able to change your listing or delete your message. Deleting your information
: If you want to close your account (where applicable) with us and/or delete your personal information, please send us a request by contacting Customer Support
and selecting Privacy - Delete Information. You may also initiate a request via the Kijiji app by selecting ‘account settings’ - ‘manage account’ - ‘request account deletion’. We will process your request within a reasonable period of time and in accordance with applicable law.Withdrawing Consent:
You have the right to object and opt-out of certain uses and disclosures of your personal information, and may withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal information at any time by contacting us. Please note that even if you opt-out, we may still collect and use non-personal information regarding your activities on our Website.
Please note that our processing of these requests are subject to certain exceptions, and therefore may not be applicable in instances where we need to retain the information (i) under applicable law or to preserve our rights, (ii) as required to deter and identify potential fraud, spam, criminal activity or other suspicious behaviours, (iii) as reasonably required to keep records of your request, (iv) if related to previously deleted ads or replies (which information, subject to (i)-(iii), may still be in the process of being deleted).
You may also contact us concerning any of the above requests by writing to Kijiji Canada
Ltd., Attention: Privacy Officer, 1 York Street, Suite 1010, Toronto, ON, M5J 0B6.
9. Protection and retention of your personal information
We protect your information by using technical and administrative security measures (such as firewalls, data encryption, and physical and administrative access controls to the data and servers) that limit the risk of loss, abuse, and unauthorised access, disclosure, and alteration. Nevertheless, if you believe your account or information has been abused, please contact us here
We use the reCAPTCHA Enterprise tool on our Website to help detect and prevent fraud, spam and abuse. This tool collects information about your hardware and software (such as device or application data) and sends it to Google to run and improve the tool, as well as for general security purposes. Please note that your use of reCAPTCHA Enterprise is subject to Google’s Terms of Service
We retain personal information no longer than is legally permissible and delete personal information when it is no longer necessary for the purposes as described above
10. Other information
Abuse and unsolicited commercial communications ("spam"):
We do not tolerate abuse of our Website. You do not have permission to add other Kijiji users to your mailing list (e-mail or postal) for commercial purposes, even if a user has purchased something from you, unless the user has given his explicit consent. If you notice that someone is abusing our Website (spam or spoof emails), please notify us here
Updated: September 21, 2023