When sending messages through Kijiji and Kijiji Autos, we mask your email
on top of other safeguards to try to ensure that every interaction you have is with a genuine member of the site. Despite these safeguards, it’s important to know the warning signs when buying and trading online.
They Move the Conversation to a New Platform
To avoid our security systems fraudsters will often request that you leave Kijiji and contact them through a private platform. If they ask you to reply to their personal email address instead of their masked Kijiji email, be cautious.
Note: Sometimes these requests can be legitimate, but if they refuse to speak anywhere other than through private email, it might be best to move on. Ask them to speak directly over the phone if they don’t want to use Kijiji messages.
They Can’t Meet In Person
Fraudsters operate remotely. This is partly because they need to cast a wide net to make money and partly for their own safety. They may have an elaborate excuse that makes them sound legitimate. Some common stories are that they work in a distant mining town, that they’re a member of the military, or that they’re buying a special present for a family member.
They Rush the Process
Fraudsters want to rush people into their scam before they begin to catch on. They’ll often send long-winded, overly detailed messages trying to finish the transaction right away.
They Skip Details
They don’t ask any detailed questions, or even mention the exact type of vehicle in their reply.
Too Good to be True Deals
In order to try and lure people into their scam, fraudsters will offer a deal that’s hard to refuse. If you offer less, they’ll accept on the first email. After all, they’re losing nothing in this deal unless you walk away.
If you’re selling the vehicle, they may offer you more than asking price, or may want to buy everything you have for sale all at once. They may even offer extra if you remove the ad right away to “ensure the sale”.
Odd Payment Requests
Since Fraudsters don’t usually meet in person, they need the money digitally. They may ask that you send them money through an untrustworthy method. Favourites include MoneyGram, Western Union, and other types of money transfer. They may also request payment through PayPal, but insist that you use the Friends & Family setting so that you are offered no protection.
Scams aimed at buyers are generally simple, but there are two types:
- They ask you to pay for the vehicle before you meet up
- They ask for a deposit for a vehicle you haven’t seen
There are 3 main types of scams aimed at sellers:
- They insist that you ship the vehicle to them before payment.
- They send you a payment notification or receipt and ask you to transfer some funds back to them before the full payment comes through.
- They send you a fake payment notification or receipt, then ask you to transfer some of that money to a shipping company. They not only tell you which company, but what account number to use for the transfer.
To learn more, read our quick-tips article about staying safe online. For more information on sending and receiving payments safely, click here.Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading with other users of Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred third party, secure cashless payment method.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent, that a tracking number is used and additional precautions are taken when sending/receiving items; particularly items of a high value. Increased care should be taken with high value items to ensure both sides are comfortable sending or receiving the item through a postal or shipping service. Please note, Kijiji itself does not offer postal or shipping services; it is organized between buyer and seller (agreement should be mutual, and we recommend confirming all details such as service provider, cost, packaging, pick up location and delivery address). Kijiji will not be held responsible for items not received or for any items that do not meet the buyer’s expectations (including where they are not as described).
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to inspect the item and make an exchange, all while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections / Video Chat(s) / Virtual Tour(s) (Long Terms Rentals): Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables Community Members to discuss the transaction, while observing social-distancing protocols; Community Members can also send additional images, to show features/condition.
- Online Applications in Long Term Rentals: Online applications for rental agreements enable the landlord and applicant to interact while observing social-distancing protocols. Be careful of applications that request information such as Age, Occupation, Income, Gender and more sensitive information such as bank or SIN card numbers. These can often be attempts to steal information. Please note that Kijiji does not facilitate online applications and we are not involved in any agreements made between the landlord and applicant.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.