Once you’ve come to an agreement and decided you’re going to make the trade, it’s important to meet in person. Meeting in person helps to prevent miscommunication, allows you to inspect the vehicle one last time, and reduces the risk of scams.
Agree on a Safe Location
Unless you’re selling a vehicle that can’t be moved easily, it’s best to meet somewhere other than your own home. A public location will help ensure safety for both parties, especially if you can’t meet until the evening. Try to choose somewhere with plenty of light, other people, and if possible, security cameras. The parking lots of coffee shops, fast food restaurants, or even police stations are good choices.
Bring a Friend
Bringing a friend or family member with you is always a good idea. They can keep you company while you’re waiting, and help ensure everything goes smoothly.
Inspect What You're Buying Carefully
Even if you’ve seen photos and the seller ensures you that it’s in perfect condition, it’s important to inspect the vehicle thoroughly first. Even genuine sellers may not notice small stains or other issues. If the seller agrees, taking the vehicle to a mechanic together to have it inspected can settle any concerns.
The inspection is equally important for a seller. Ensure that the buyer looks over the vehicle, gives it a test drive, and knows about any wear and tear beforehand. That last inspection will make sure that both you and the buyer are aware of the vehicle’s condition. The goal is for nothing to be left unsaid that could cause issues later.
Once you’ve agreed to the deal, it’s time to complete the payment! Continue reading about safe payments here.Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading with other users of Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred third party, secure cashless payment method.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent, that a tracking number is used and additional precautions are taken when sending/receiving items; particularly items of a high value. Increased care should be taken with high value items to ensure both sides are comfortable sending or receiving the item through a postal or shipping service. Please note, Kijiji itself does not offer postal or shipping services; it is organized between buyer and seller (agreement should be mutual, and we recommend confirming all details such as service provider, cost, packaging, pick up location and delivery address). Kijiji will not be held responsible for items not received or for any items that do not meet the buyer’s expectations (including where they are not as described).
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to inspect the item and make an exchange, all while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections / Video Chat(s) / Virtual Tour(s) (Long Terms Rentals): Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables Community Members to discuss the transaction, while observing social-distancing protocols; Community Members can also send additional images, to show features/condition.
- Online Applications in Long Term Rentals: Online applications for rental agreements enable the landlord and applicant to interact while observing social-distancing protocols. Be careful of applications that request information such as Age, Occupation, Income, Gender and more sensitive information such as bank or SIN card numbers. These can often be attempts to steal information. Please note that Kijiji does not facilitate online applications and we are not involved in any agreements made between the landlord and applicant.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.