Typically, fraudsters will attempt to organize a transaction that is not face-to-face. The following is an example of a common reply you might receive:"Everything sound good to me and i will instruct my secretary to issue out the payment to you asap and for confirmation. And as soon as you receive the payment *name* will have access to come for the lesson. More so i want to tell you that the Payment will come to you in excess payment which will included the nanny fees on the check am sending to you, because the nanny will need the rest money to relocate to your location with my son for the tutor lesson....Please as a good teacher i will want you to help me to handle this payment with care and with the instruction when you receive the check....When the tutoring start in two weeks time if you take good care of my son i will compensate you for another extra $50. As soon as you receive the payment you will deduct your own money for the tutor lesson of my son for 1 month and you will have the rest money send to the nanny through Western union money transfer, the nanny information to send the rest money will be email to you as soon as you receive the check.. i will instruct my secretary to issue out the payment to you asap.*CAN I TRUST YOU WITH MY NANNY MONEY? you will handle this for me and i will be happy if my son achieve his aim in future?"
If you do receive any such replies, please contact Kijiji
so we can remove their access to our site and keep them from trying this on others.
The best rule of thumb while using Kijiji is to meet up with the person you are communicating with the good old fashioned way: face-to-face
Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading with other users of Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred third party, secure cashless payment method.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent, that a tracking number is used and additional precautions are taken when sending/receiving items; particularly items of a high value. Increased care should be taken with high value items to ensure both sides are comfortable sending or receiving the item through a postal or shipping service. Please note, Kijiji itself does not offer postal or shipping services; it is organized between buyer and seller (agreement should be mutual, and we recommend confirming all details such as service provider, cost, packaging, pick up location and delivery address). Kijiji will not be held responsible for items not received or for any items that do not meet the buyer’s expectations (including where they are not as described).
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to inspect the item and make an exchange, all while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections / Video Chat(s) / Virtual Tour(s) (Long Terms Rentals): Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables Community Members to discuss the transaction, while observing social-distancing protocols; Community Members can also send additional images, to show features/condition.
- Online Applications in Long Term Rentals: Online applications for rental agreements enable the landlord and applicant to interact while observing social-distancing protocols. Be careful of applications that request information such as Age, Occupation, Income, Gender and more sensitive information such as bank or SIN card numbers. These can often be attempts to steal information. Please note that Kijiji does not facilitate online applications and we are not involved in any agreements made between the landlord and applicant.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.