Typically, fraudsters will attempt to organize a transaction that is not face-to-face. The following are examples of common replies you might receive: Payment via Canada Post
"First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my Apple iPhone 4S 32GB Factory Unlocked. Original, sealed in box, Brand New completely UNLOCKED, so you can use it with your SIM card straight away. Complete accessories, White color. Unwanted gift- and has APPLE CARE UNTIL DECEMBER 2022.
I'm selling it due to the fact that my medical team was ordered to go back to Afghanistan for a 1 year contract and I won't let it go to waste, therefore I need a fast and reliable buyer. Due to military security reasons I don't have phone access that's why I need to sell it. I am located at Petawawa Army base, and it will be shipped from here through Canada Post, shipping and handling free. I will use the Next day Home delivery services with immediate tracking number information.
I accept payment through Canada Post Office-Ukash only because I want to provide you a fast and very secure way and I am not allowed to use other forms of payment here in the military base. So if you decide to buy my phone and accept my terms please let me know to stop any communication with other interested buyers and complete this sale today." Payment via Google Wallet / Checkout"Is very easy to make this transaction. You must go at the nearest Western Union agency in your area with cash and submit the payment to the Google Checkout agent, after that you must fax the Western Union papers at the fax number that they provided you in the Invoice because they need a prove of the payment to start the delivery to your home address. I have one request for you when you are going to make the payment. Please inform the Western Union agent that you are sending the money to a relative or a friend of yours because otherwise when i will receive my payment i have to pay 15% from the amount to the state here. I really appreciate if you can do this for me. It will help me a lot. Please let me know when you will submit the payment?" Payment via Western Union / MoneyGram"Thanks for your interest in my Little puppy. The puppy is still available for adoption. This little Girl is 12 weeks old she is potty trained and very friendly with children. She is AKC registered, Adorable, sociable with great Personalities and very good bloodlines. She is vet-checked, up to date on shots and she is health guaranteed. All the papers will come along with the puppy but right now My wife and i are on a Christian mission in West Africa, Nigeria and we have the puppy right here with us. We are going to ship to you via express delivery on next day delivery after shipment through a shipping agent. Please if you know that you are not going to take very good care of my baby please let me know. I am giving her on adoption because we don't have time to take care of the puppy again due to the mission work before us here. She will be going for free but you will have to pay the shipping fee which is $200 so i will like you to get back to me with your full name, full address, nearest airport and your contact phone number so i can make arrangement for the shipping. The lovely puppy will come along with all necessary document like... Akc Registered Paper, One Year health Guarantee, health Insurance Paper, Vet Record, Birth Certificate, Shot Book, Toys And Foods. Price: Free Shipping Fee:$200 Total cost:$200 Payment can be made via Western union or Money gram. If you are really interested in having my puppy as part of your family get back to me with the below info. God Bless."
If you do receive any such replies, please contact Kijiji
so we can remove their access to our site and keep them from trying this on others.
The best rule of thumb while using Kijiji is to meet up with the person you are communicating with the good old fashioned way: face-to-face
Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading with other users of Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred third party, secure cashless payment method.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent, that a tracking number is used and additional precautions are taken when sending/receiving items; particularly items of a high value. Increased care should be taken with high value items to ensure both sides are comfortable sending or receiving the item through a postal or shipping service. Please note, Kijiji itself does not offer postal or shipping services; it is organized between buyer and seller (agreement should be mutual, and we recommend confirming all details such as service provider, cost, packaging, pick up location and delivery address). Kijiji will not be held responsible for items not received or for any items that do not meet the buyer’s expectations (including where they are not as described).
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to inspect the item and make an exchange, all while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections / Video Chat(s) / Virtual Tour(s) (Long Terms Rentals): Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables Community Members to discuss the transaction, while observing social-distancing protocols; Community Members can also send additional images, to show features/condition.
- Online Applications in Long Term Rentals: Online applications for rental agreements enable the landlord and applicant to interact while observing social-distancing protocols. Be careful of applications that request information such as Age, Occupation, Income, Gender and more sensitive information such as bank or SIN card numbers. These can often be attempts to steal information. Please note that Kijiji does not facilitate online applications and we are not involved in any agreements made between the landlord and applicant.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.