The Pets category is to help people find good, safe and caring homes for their pets as well as find accessories and services related to owning pets.
In keeping with the spirit of this category, and in order to protect animal welfare and uphold Canadian laws, please respect the following rules when posting an ad on Kijiji:
- The Animal Pedigree Act makes it a federal offense to sell an animal of a recognized breed as, purebred, registered, or eligible to be registered if it is not.
- The term "purebred" is a confirmation of genetic background and adherence to breed characteristics, in accordance with the requirements of the Act and the by-laws of the authorized breed association. When posting your ad, this means that you can only advertise your animal as purebred if it applies to this definition.
- The term "registered" is confirmation that all the rules of eligibility of the authorized breed association in Canada have been met.
- If an animal of a recognized breed is sold as purebred, registered or eligible to be registered, the seller is obligated to provide a duly transferred certificate of registration to the buyer not later than six months after the sale.
- Kijiji does not permit any type of Breeding service (such as stud services) for any domestic pets.
- Dogs and puppies posted in the Pets section may not be listed as Free (Note: This applies to both ads rehoming/offering dogs and puppies, and wanted ads for dogs and puppies). It is important to us that everyone who adopts a dog can afford the care of the animal, and that they are committed to providing a safe and responsible environment to any dog they take in.
- Kijiji does not permit ads that offer animals to be bartered or traded for goods and/or services.
- Kijiji does not permit ads that indicate signs of or encouraging animal cruelty. We will listen very closely to our community for any reports of suspected cases of illegal practices or animal cruelty. Accounts may be suspended if the complaint is deemed legitimate. Thereafter, if appropriate documentation (e.g., health inspection) is not provided within 3 weeks, Kijiji reserves the right to ban the account.
- Kijiji prohibits the sale of puppies and kittens under 8 weeks old. Date of birth for these animals must be clearly stated in the ad.
- Please do not post for sale any animals that are on the endangered species list, Environment Canada CITES website, are wild animals, or animals that are not permitted to be owned or sold in any city in which the ad is being posted or could be considered dangerous to others.
- Kijiji is not intended to facilitate uncontrolled breeding or irresponsible commercial pet trading. For this reason, both dog and cat breeders alike are permitted to post a maximum of three (3) breeds only on Kijiji (including mixed breeds). Dog breeders may only list dogs exclusively, and cat breeders may only list cats exclusively. In either case, posting more than three breeds – even if only three are advertised on the site at one time – is not permitted.
- There are many dogs, that while they are good breeds, can easily fall into the hands of bad owners or breeders. Due to animal welfare concerns, the following dog breeds are not permitted on Kijiji anywhere in Canada:
Pit Bull Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Staffy)
American Staffordshire Terrier (Amstaff)
American Pit Bull Terrier
Any dog that is a mixed-breed of these breeds, and has the characteristics substantially similar to pitbulls.
- As we cannot provide the proper screening and education required to the potential owners of these animals, Kijiji only accepts ads for these breeds posted by recognized animal shelters and rescues anywhere in Canada.
- Kijiji does not allow any ads that offer shipment of animals. Animals may only be sold locally so that the transactions can occur in person.
- Kijiji does not allow the sale of cats or dogs by Pet Stores. All other animals however are acceptable.
- In the province of New Brunswick, all kennels, shelters and boarding facilities must have a valid Pet Establishment License. The Department of Environment and Local Government (DELG) under Regulation 2010-74 defines a kennel as any premises where dogs are bred or boarded for consideration. This includes home based breeding facilities. The Pet Establishment license number as issued by DELG must be included in all Kijiji ads from a breeder, shelter or boarding facility within New Brunswick. For more information about this regulation, please see the NBSPCA page here.
Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading with other users of Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred third party, secure cashless payment method.
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to inspect the item and make an exchange, all while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections / Video Chat(s) / Virtual Tour(s) (Long Terms Rentals): Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables Community Members to discuss the transaction, while observing social-distancing protocols; Community Members can also send additional images, to show features/condition.
- Online Applications in Long Term Rentals: Online applications for rental agreements enable the landlord and applicant to interact while observing social-distancing protocols. Be careful of applications that request information such as Age, Occupation, Income, Gender and more sensitive information such as bank or SIN card numbers. These can often be attempts to steal information. Please note that Kijiji does not facilitate online applications and we are not involved in any agreements made between the landlord and applicant.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.