Kijiji is now Canada’s largest Auto site and safety remains our number one concern. We certainly do our best to keep the site clean, but as losses can be very costly in this section, we highly encourage users to exercise caution when making a purchase.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when purchasing a vehicle on Kijiji;
If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.
- Is the price out of line compared to other similar models on the market?
- Be cautious of scammers who falsely claim that they will put the seller of a vehicle in touch with a buyer in exchange for a fee of a few hundred dollars. They’ll often tell the seller that they had undervalued their vehicle and that the price the buyer was willing to pay would cover this fee. They may make it sound legitimate by offering a “refund insurance”, falsely promising sellers who purchased this insurance a risk-free refund of their initial fee if the vehicle is not sold in 90 days.
Do your homework.
- Do you know what is required of both you and the seller to make the transfer of ownership legal in your province?
- Have you seen the vehicle’s CARFAX Canada report? A CARFAX Canada report can confirm the vehicle's current condition, as well as reveal information about what has happened to it in the past.
- If the ad claims the vehicle has recently passed Air Care, Drive Clean (or your province’s equivalent) make sure you call to confirm. This can be costly if the car hasn’t passed due to serious problems.
It’s in the details.
- The most common scams are basic ones like trying to pass off an older vehicle than advertised, so know what to look for in the details. Be sure to verify that the kilometers and features listed in the ad match that of the vehicle.
- Take a look at the pictures. Does the setting resemble the location where the vehicle is being sold? For example, if you see a desert scene for an ad listed in Vancouver or palm trees for an ad listed in Edmonton - this should be a red flag.
- being able to thoroughly inspect an item before paying is a necessity for any purchase, so make sure you can see the vehicle before committing to it. Also, with the potential for large sums of money being exchanged, as a safe alternative to carrying cash, consider choosing your preferred third party cashless payment method (at your own discretion). Secure cashless payment methods include electronic money transfers (Interac
Never mail a cheque or wire money to sellers. Services like Western Union or MoneyGram should be avoided. Typically, scammers will use these services and will even falsify documents from a legitimate company. It’s best to avoid them entirely and keep things local!
Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading with other users of Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred third party, secure cashless payment method.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent, that a tracking number is used and additional precautions are taken when sending/receiving items; particularly items of a high value. Increased care should be taken with high value items to ensure both sides are comfortable sending or receiving the item through a postal or shipping service. Please note, Kijiji itself does not offer postal or shipping services; it is organized between buyer and seller (agreement should be mutual, and we recommend confirming all details such as service provider, cost, packaging, pick up location and delivery address). Kijiji will not be held responsible for items not received or for any items that do not meet the buyer’s expectations (including where they are not as described).
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to inspect the item and make an exchange, all while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections / Video Chat(s) / Virtual Tour(s) (Long Terms Rentals): Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables Community Members to discuss the transaction, while observing social-distancing protocols; Community Members can also send additional images, to show features/condition.
- Online Applications in Long Term Rentals: Online applications for rental agreements enable the landlord and applicant to interact while observing social-distancing protocols. Be careful of applications that request information such as Age, Occupation, Income, Gender and more sensitive information such as bank or SIN card numbers. These can often be attempts to steal information. Please note that Kijiji does not facilitate online applications and we are not involved in any agreements made between the landlord and applicant.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.