Kijiji can be a great resource both for acquiring tickets to sold-out shows and as an aid to those who are no longer able to attend an event. Unfortunately, ticket scams are some of the easiest to fall victim to. Because a ticket is just a piece of paper to be used at a later time, people take greater risks and liberties when purchasing them.
Here are a few tips to keep you from a big disappointment come event day:
- The number one rule to remember is to always transact in person. In fact, we recommend meeting the seller at a place where you can actually have the tickets verified and authenticated, like the venue itself. The majority of scams in this section happen when transactions occur using online money transfers like Western Union or MoneyGram. Fraudsters will ask that potential buyers send a deposit, or the full amount, before they send the tickets. They typically disappear once the money has been received.
If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.
- Research the prices for similar tickets offered at the event prior to replying to an ad - is the price out of line in comparison?
Do your homework.
- Try to meet the seller at a place where you can have the tickets verified, like the venue itself. You will want to call ahead to ensure that they are both willing and able to check that particular event for you, as they are not always able to do this ahead of the event.
It’s in the details.
- Be careful of transactions that seem to be happening too fast and make you feel uncomfortable. While certain situations may require a quick sale, these should only be done in person and with hard tickets. Scammers like to put unnecessary pressure on people so they make poor decisions. Chances are that if you are being rushed into something, it isn’t going to end well.
A few extra notes worth considering:
- Be very wary of E-tickets. Scammers have been known to abuse the fact that e-tickets can be easily reproduced and will print off as many copies of a certain ticket as possible. All of these tickets will work perfectly when entering the event, but only the first one scanned will be valid - while the rest will be denied entry.
- Box Office tickets also offer a potential hazard, as the scammers may not change the name that the Pre-Order tickets are under at the box office, once again denying you entry.
Because of this, Kijiji does not recommend purchasing e-Tickets or box office tickets of any kind from users.