Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading on Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred, secure cashless payment method when transacting; you’re also able to link your PayPal account directly when transacting on Kijiji if you wish.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent that a tracking number is used when sending/receiving items.
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to make an exchange, while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections: Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables both buyer and seller to discuss the transaction and view the item in question while observing social-distancing protocols; Community Members can also send additional images of items via the mobile app.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: As per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention, we recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction; visit Health Canada to learn more about current precautionary measures.
Typically, fraudsters will attempt to organize a transaction that is not face-to-face. The following is an example of a common reply you might receive:
(Initial Reply) "Oh thank you for your email. I like the car and also it looks great. I am ok with the price so I will proceed with my bank loan. I will have to see the car. I will also bring my daughter with me so she will see it too. I will pay you cash after I will inspect the car. Do you have all the service docs? Please tell me that you have all the papers for the sale? The bank will require the car history so they will approve my loan. Please reply and tell me if you have it, if not tell me so I will give info how to get it."
(Follow Up) "Hello, my bank is asking for the car history with the seller name on it. Please go here and get it http://vin-audit.canalautos.com/. This service will cost you $10. I can refund you when we will meet or I can go now to walmart and send the funds to you if you don't want to pay from your own pocket.
You can also choose other website but all are asking over $30. You can get it even from a car dealer if you don't want to pay for it online. Any of that reports are good but I will only refund you 10 because i have found the cheapest one.
Once you will have it please save it as pdf and send it to me so I will forward it to my bank. I will be able to meet you within 48h after that, so please also tell me when you can show the car."
If you do receive any such replies, please contact Kijiji
so we can remove their access to our site and keep them from trying this on others.
The best rule of thumb while using Kijiji is to meet up with the person you are communicating with the good old fashioned way: face-to-face!