If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred, secure cashless payment method when transacting. You’re also able to link your PayPal account directly when transacting on Kijiji if you wish.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent that a tracking number is used when sending/receiving items.
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to make an exchange, while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections: Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables both buyer and seller to discuss the transaction and view the item in question while observing social-distancing protocols. Community Members can also send additional images of items to show its condition.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.
When buying technology online, it’s important to know what you’re looking for, how it should work, and what’s a fair price. Here are a few tips to keep in mind that will make buying a cell phone, laptop or tablet a positive experience.
Do Your Homework
- Get to know what the product should look like, and what its operating system looks like. Unboxing videos are a great resource for this.
- Learn what replicas look like, and how to spot the real thing.
- Research the average price for the item in new and used condition.
Look at the Ad Carefully
- Read the description of the item thoroughly. If there aren’t many details, ask the seller some questions about its condition, age, and why they’re selling.
- Fraudsters will often post once-in-a-lifetime deals. If it’s far below market price, in perfect condition, and has all the bells and whistles, be cautious.
- Once you’ve found the item you want, take a screenshot of the Kijiji ad to use as a reference. Having a copy of the ad can be helpful in many situations.
Buy with Confidence
- Always meet face to face. Meeting in person can clear up any miscommunications about the item, price, or payment before they happen.
- Inspect the item thoroughly. Make sure to check the screen, camera and keyboard. Double check that the operating system works as it should.
- Check that all the parts are there. Make sure they have any necessary cables or other pieces that should come with the item.
- Ask for a receipt. Have the seller sign the back of it and include their address. Should anything go wrong or you need to contact the seller again, having a receipt will be useful.
- Once you’ve paid for the item, reset it to factory settings. If there were any malware or viruses on the device, this should get rid of them.
Tips for iPhone Purchases
- Look at the lock screen. If the phone has been put into lost mode, the lock screen will show it.
- Ensure that the owner has logged out of their apple account on the phone. If they forget to log out, you may have trouble using the phone later on.
- Ask the seller to reset the phone while you watch. If they claim they don't remember the password or they're in a rush, be cautious.
Tips for Other Smart Phones
- Check the IMEI number, before you buy, by opening the dialer and pressing *#06#.
- If the seller doesn’t have a SIM card, bring your own so that you can inspect all the features of the phone before you buy.
Note: Take your time and don't rush into any decisions - if in doubt, walk away. You are not obligated to go through with a transaction, even if you’ve already agreed on a price.