Need to stock up on firewood, but not sure how to purchase safely? Our friends at Measurement Canada have some tips!
Adhering to the following precautions when purchasing firewood will help ensure that you get what you pay for.
When ordering firewood:
- Ask for it to be delivered stacked in the truck so that you can measure it before it is unloaded.
When receiving the firewood:
- Be present at the time of delivery. Do not rely on a neighbour to accept delivery on your behalf.
- Ask for a receipt and verify that it indicates: the quantity and type of firewood purchased, the seller's name, address, telephone number; and the price paid.
- Write down the licence plate number of the delivery vehicle.
Do You Think You've Been Shortchanged?
If you received less firewood than you paid for, and after contacting the seller you are not completely satisfied, contact the nearest Measurement Canada office before using any of the firewood.
Consumers may also refer to the Registry of Firewood Vendors in Nova Scotia
. Vendors listed in the registry must agree to sell firewood by according to the Code of Ethics of the registry.
Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading with other users of Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred third party, secure cashless payment method.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent, that a tracking number is used and additional precautions are taken when sending/receiving items; particularly items of a high value. Increased care should be taken with high value items to ensure both sides are comfortable sending or receiving the item through a postal or shipping service. Please note, Kijiji itself does not offer postal or shipping services; it is organized between buyer and seller (agreement should be mutual, and we recommend confirming all details such as service provider, cost, packaging, pick up location and delivery address). Kijiji will not be held responsible for items not received or for any items that do not meet the buyer’s expectations (including where they are not as described).
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to inspect the item and make an exchange, all while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections / Video Chat(s) / Virtual Tour(s) (Long Terms Rentals): Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables Community Members to discuss the transaction, while observing social-distancing protocols; Community Members can also send additional images, to show features/condition.
- Online Applications in Long Term Rentals: Online applications for rental agreements enable the landlord and applicant to interact while observing social-distancing protocols. Be careful of applications that request information such as Age, Occupation, Income, Gender and more sensitive information such as bank or SIN card numbers. These can often be attempts to steal information. Please note that Kijiji does not facilitate online applications and we are not involved in any agreements made between the landlord and applicant.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.