Trading during COVID-19
In order to help ensure the health and safety of our Kijiji Community, it is important to observe and apply protocols outlined by Health Canada when trading on Kijiji. Your well-being remains our top priority. Please seriously consider whether in-person meetings are necessary.
If the transaction you’re making is necessary, please consider the following options:
Other things to consider:
- Cashless Payment: Please consider choosing your preferred, secure cashless payment method when transacting. You’re also able to link your PayPal account directly when transacting on Kijiji if you wish.
- Shipping: If considering sending/receiving the item via Canada Post or other shipping agents, ensure that the agent you’re using is reputable; it’s recommended that if using a shipping agent that a tracking number is used when sending/receiving items.
- Curbside pickup / Drop-off / Delivery: This can be a great alternative to shipping and allows both buyer and seller to make an exchange, while observing social-distancing protocols.
- Remote Inspections: Remote inspections via your preferred video conferencing call service, enables both buyer and seller to discuss the transaction and view the item in question while observing social-distancing protocols. Community Members can also send additional images of items to show its condition.
- Clean / Disinfect Items: We recommend cleaning items before and after a transaction as per the Health Canada page on Coronavirus (COVID-19) prevention. Please visit Health Canada to learn more about precautions to take at this time.
Have you received a suspicious reply to an ad you’ve posted on Kijiji? Or perhaps you’ve received an odd response after replying to an ad? Here are some tips to keep you safe when communicating with users;
When receiving replies regarding your ad, be suspicious of communication that does not make specific reference to what your ad is about, such as:
- “Is there anything to add or does the ad say it all?
- "I’m ready to pick up this item, can you give me your price and is the condition as listed?"
Replies like this are generally sent out en mass by fraudsters hoping to get as many responses as possible. If you do receive any such replies, please contact Kijiji
so we can remove their access to our site and keep them from trying this on others.
, emails from the domain @rts.kijiji.ca are safe! Click here
for more information about our new Masked Email Addresses.
Typically, fraudsters will attempt to organize a transaction that is not face-to-face. The following are a few examples of the most common replies you might receive:
The best rule of thumb while using Kijiji is to meet up with the person you are communicating with the good old fashioned way: face-to-face